A quick mug cake you can make in just a minute. It’s chocolatey, rich yet has no added sugar, gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan (if using a coconut cream topping).
A tasty chocolate treat for one, with no sugars, gluten-free and dairy-free? Yes, please!
It’s always good to have a little indulgence from time to time, especially when it’s something made from whole ingredients. This rich and addictive Mug Cake needs to be enjoyed alone!
A heavenly chocolate mug cake will always bring a smile. It’s perfectly portioned for one serving, so no need to share.
Mug cakes can be made in minutes, so if you fancy something oozing and warming from your favorite mug, move over coffee! We have some serious chocolatey goodness to enjoy.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Cocoa powder – A high-quality brand with no added sweeteners is the best option here. It will bring you a rich chocolate flavor that your mug cake will love you for.
Oat flour – If you need to avoid gluten, make sure your variety is certified as gluten-free just to be sure. Did you know you can make your own oat flour? Just whizz up some old-fashioned oats.
Cinnamon – This spice adds a sparkle to many sweet recipes. If you don’t have any to hand, though, you could omit it.
Salt – Needed to balance the richness of the cocoa and to bring out the flavors! Use either sea salt or table salt here.
Erythritol – This natural sweetener has less impact on your blood sugar than processed sugars. You could replace it with monk fruit or stevia but be sure to check the packages for conversion as these natural sweeteners have varying sweetness.
Baking powder – This will give the rise the mug cake needs as there are no eggs in this recipe. Baking soda won’t give quite the same results.
Coconut oil – Unrefined, cold-pressed, organic virgin coconut oil is the best, so source a brand like this if you can.
Almond milk – You could use oat milk or different nut milk here if you like; just make sure it’s an unsweetened variety.
Vanilla extract – This delicious taste is delivered best from pure extract and not the essence, so try and always buy that.
Whipped cream – You could use the well-known squirty bottle variety here. It’s quick and accessible, so when you need a mug cake topping, it’s good to grab! However, you could also use a bit of freshly whipped cream. Whipped coconut cream would also be great here if you are vegan.
Cocoa nibs – These crunchy, nutty, and deep chocolate nibs are perfect for a topping. You could use dark chocolate chips or a dusting of extra cocoa power, though, if you would rather.
How to Make 1-Minute Microwave Mug Cake
Combine the cocoa powder, oat flour, cinnamon, salt, erythritol, and baking powder in a small bowl.
Add the coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract, and mix well until you have a smooth batter.
Transfer the mug cake batter to a ramekin or a coffee mug that is suitable for the microwave. These are lovely ramekins that go in both the oven and the microwave, so they are perfect for many recipes. Give the ramekin a good rub with a bit of extra coconut oil if you like to make sure it doesn’t stick.
Heat the mug or ramekin in a microwave that has been set to its highest heat and cooked for 30-40 seconds. Be careful you don’t overcook it as this mug cake is delicious with a gooey center.
Heat for further 20 second increments if needed.
Leave to cool for 2-3 minutes and then top with whipped cream and cocoa nibs.
What Else Could I Use as a Topping for My Mug Cake?
This chocolate mug cake can be topped with a number of things, which means you can adapt it to your likings:
- Fresh raspberries or strawberries would make a great addition to the creamy topping.
- A drizzle of melted chocolate would ooze through the cream and into the mug cake, making this treat even more indulgent. Remember to use dairy-free chocolate if you are avoiding milk products.
- Chopped toasted almonds or flaked almonds would add a wonderful crunch to the top.
- Toasted pecans and a caramel sauce would be delicious to top this Mug Cake!
- A fruit puree or low sugar jam could be dolloped onto the cream topping.
- Make a coconut cream topping instead of using the squirty can! Place full-fat canned coconut milk into the refrigerator and then remove the separated coconut cream. Whip up just like you would do with regular cream.
- Flaked, toasted coconut could be added.
- Love coffee? Add some espresso powder to the cocoa with the other dry ingredients and make a Mocha Mug Cake!
- Come up with some of your own added extras that would make this treat your perfect companion.
What Other Flour Could I Use?
If you aren’t avoiding gluten, you could just switch to regular flour and use the same quantity. Coconut flour and almond flour are wonderful options if you are following a gluten-free or low-carb diet.
You can just substitute with the same amount of almond flour, but you will need less if you use coconut flour. This is far more absorbent so just use 1 tbsp and add a little more coconut oil if it does appear a little dry still.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Date Energy Balls
- 5-Ingredient Cashew Energy Balls
- Almond Butter Energy Balls
- 300 Calorie Meals
- Coconut Milk Chia Pudding
- Healthy Apple Snacks
- 31 Healthy Summer Recipes
1-Minute Microwave Mug Cake
This chocolatey, rich in flavors, and yummy microwave mug cake is super easy to make. A healthy dessert cooked in one minute - gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan (with adjustments).
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp oat flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp erythritol
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- whipped cream (or coconut cream)
- cocoa nibs
- Combine all the dry ingredients as well as you can.
- Then, add coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract and combine well.
- Transfer to a ramekin or coffee mug and microwave for 30-40s on the highest heat.
- Top up with whipped cream and cocoa nibs. You could also use any other toppings you love, including berries, fruits, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 mug cake Serving Size: 1 mug cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 8.2mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 27gNet Carbohydrates: 22.4gFiber: 4.6gSugar: 1gProtein: 7.7g
Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.